Steels are prominent materials among others thanks to their unique properties and flexible nature. It can be modified suitably to various applications. There is a tough competition in the building materials market nowadays. Many other materials like fiber-reinforced plastics, wood, and metallic composites can be a good option for particular applications. However, by a large margin, steel still resides as the most dependable and efficient option when compared to others. If you are still not sure about what makes steel is superior to others, you can read twelve interesting truths about steel materials in this article. These truths, in a way, can be also considered as fun facts to learn.
- Recycling of steel is one of the most convenient recycling operations. In the United States of America, steel occupies a considerable percentage of 69% in whole recycling operations on its own against the combination of all the other materials that are recycled. Institution of Steel Recycling states that recycled steel amount (in tons) has been reached nearly 48 million and this amount is still increasing since the beginning of 2016.
- Waste of steel does not threaten the environment. It is considered as an eco-friendly choice for commercial and industrial applications. All metals including various types of steels can be theoretically 100% recycled due to their nature. Various studies on this topic indicate that approximately all of the steels used in different applications from steel packaging to automobile production are recycled. Whenever customers buy steel materials, they are basically purchasing a product that has been recycled, maybe more than once.
- Considering the well-being of others is significant in the steel industry. Iron and steel making companies have made a massive amount of investments to counter air and water pollution caused by the production of steel and waste treatment infrastructure since the declaration of national Earth Day which was happened in 1970.
- It is not surprising that steel materials signify power and endurance, just like Superman was named as “Man of Steel”. Steel owes this reputation to its tough and durable nature. For instance, high strength steels are utilized in the B-pillars vehicle to protect the passengers from the shock of impact in case of side collisions.
- Technological advancements in steel production make them more resistant to deformation and around 30% tougher when they are compared with steels produced ten years before.
- The left-over materials resulted from the manufacturing of steel can be used in the production of other metals such as zinc production.
- Steels are highly resistant to cracking, warping, twisting, rotting, splitting, and settling. Therefore, it is an exquisite material to be used in the structural components of a building.
- Another major benefit of steels is their food containment properties. Food packaging and storage is possible in steel cans. Nutritional values of food are very well protected inside steel cans. They keep their freshness and you can be sure that they will not be spoilt inside a properly sealed steel can.
- The flexible nature of steel is one of its strong sides. It is a reason for preferring steel. Many industries such as machinery, energy, automotive, transportation, and packaging use steel intensively.
- Steel is a suitable material for doors. It is usually used in bulletproof and fireproof doors. It is not just limited to protective purposes Steel doors can also be found in industrial or commercial buildings, stores, schools, and hospitals. Their protective properties can be enhanced by adding chemical-resistant security measures. Steel is an excellent selection for exterior usage because it is resistant to rust, bowing, and cracking. It can withstand harsh environmental conditions. If the building contains valuable assets inside, it would be wise to choose steel material indoors to protect them.
- Adaptation of steel is easy for different purposes. It has a broad field of usage. The collaboration of steel producers with architects makes any type of structural steel component possible with great convenience.
- In the construction of the U. S. S. New York Battleship, steels salvaged from the World Trade Center were used. The whole battleship was constructed only out of these salvaged materials. Commission of this ship was done in 2009 and 7.5 tones steel was used in the construction. This ship can house nearly 700 Marines.
You May Be Interested:
- Why Steel Structures Are More Advantageous Than Other Structural Materials?
- A comprehensive guide to structural steel
- Structural Steel Parts
- An overview of Structural Steel
- Structural Steel Production and Today’s Building Market
- Advantages of Steel Structures
- Why Structural Steel is Great for Construction