Society is pursuing after improvements in various fields of life in order to achieve higher levels of effectiveness and efficiency. Technological advances in automobile industry, improvements in education, nearly every field of technology in modern world can be given as an example for the fact that people seek change and improvement in their lives by both optimizing results and reducing costs at time same time. The innovation is the fuel of our industries.
Just like Thomas Edison once said: “There are always better ways of doing things — the real question is about finding them.”
The innovations in the field of commercial and industrial constructions are accomplished by exploiting steel materials as structural components in these massive buildings. Alternatives for each type of construction project are plenty, however, only one of these alternatives enables you to both save the planet and save your costs at the same time.
Structural Steels as Building Material: An Excellent Eco-Friendly Option of Structural Component
When structural steels are compared to the other type of structural materials, they appear to be more prominent than any other since they can be fully recycled, the carbon footprint and environmental impact are less than any other building materials. There is no such thing as landfilling when it comes to steels. Ways of economical sustainability of structural steels are listed below:
- Steels can be recycled nearly 100%. All types of steel materials in all shapes are totally recyclable. From steel packaging to appliances and even automobile parts! 90% of total production of steels consist of recycling operations of steel materials. It is called secondary metallurgy of steel in which scrap steels are utilized.
- Conservation is the biggest consideration in steel manufacturing. Reusing and recycling of scrap materials such as milling dusts, slags formed during smelting and steel dust are possible. In this way, emissions of carbon dioxide and the consumption of energy for steel production have been continuing to decrease dramatically. When they are compared with the statistics of 1960, values are nearly dropped at half.
- Higher energy efficiencies with advanced technology. Thanks to technological developments in industries, producers are capable of achieving higher rates of efficiencies in their operations regarding the production of steel.
- Eco-friendly steels also makes other industries friendly to their environment. Environmental impact of lightweight steel buildings is very limited and minimal comparing to other industries like transportation.
Steel is an excellent material to use in structures if preserving the environment is in your main agenda. It is an indispensable key factor in this regard.
Structural Steels Save Your Costs Both Over Time and Up Front
Restrictions exist naturally in every project of construction. One of the main advantages of using structural steel is that it saves your costs over time. Moreover, initial investments appear to have lower returning of investments than using any other structural material. In this way, important financial saving can be done. Value of steel in metal market has been on a continuous rise for 15 years.
Initial Savings of Costs
- Pre-fabrication and pre-engineering saves your costs. On-site fabrication and engineering operations are required in conventional construction. Unexpected errors can cause timeless delays on site, which is one of the most undesirable events in a construction project. Installing of structural frames made out of steel can be done on site. After producing, these frame components should be properly packaged and labeled for assembly. When compared to other types of building materials which have to be prepared on site, higher levels of efficiency, accuracy and precision in the fabrication of structural steel components can be achieved by realizing this process off the construction site.
- Faster the completion of the project, more the costs are saved. In a big construction project, time does not reside on your side. Clock is ticking for you. Each delay occurrence equals to extra costs and heavy burdens for your pocket. When rapid completion of the project is ensured, organization that are responsible from the finishing of construction can disband sooner and you save your costs considerably. When steel is decided to be the structural material for a building, it is much easier to manufacture, fabricate and install steel. Therefore, it is a faster process. Generally, the erection steel framed structures takes half a time of their conventional counterparts.
- Waste reduction in construction projects saves your costs. It is mandatory to clean up the vicinities of a construction project after it is finished due to the federal regulations. Of course, cleaning operations are costly. Rapid and proper disposition of steel waste products are possible compared to bricks and concretes. Moreover, scrap metals equal to extra money to be spent.
Life Cycle Savings of Costs
- High durability of structural steels save your costs in time. Steel frames last long when they are properly coated, installed and cared. So, repair and maintenance costs are puny.
- The highly adaptable and flexible nature of structural steels save your costs and your precious time. In contrary with other conventional building materials, structural steels can be adapted for both vertical and later applications easily. Little effort is necessary for steels to integrate with the structure.
- The resilient properties of steel become a major cost-saver in time. High strength and durability of steel enables this material to resist against any type of conditions like extreme weather. Integrity of its structure is not compromised in time. It would be very wise to choose steel as a structural material when considering these facts. The manufacturing process of steel should be given to the hands of experts for proper realization of whole project.